All students, faculty, and staff in the College of Engineering are provided with a home directory for storing data (U: Drive). The home directory is the same whether you are logging in via Windows or Linux and can be accessed from anywhere using the University VPN service. Student home directories have a limit of 10GB.
To access your Engineering Home Directory see the information below:
- If off campus connect to VPN.
- Open Computer (from Desktop or Start Menu).
- Click “Map network drive” from tool bar (near top of window).
- Select your drive letter (any drive letter will work).
- Next to folder enter \\myfiles.iastate.edu\Users\<netid> (if on campus skip to step number 8)
- If you would like your MyFiles path to attempt to reconnect at login you can select the check box “Reconnect at logon.”
- Note: The drive will fail to map if you are not connected to the University VPN service when not on the campus network.
- Check the box next to “Connect using different credentials.”
- Click Finish. (if on campus skip to step number 12)
- A login box will appear.
- Enter your username as: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Note: Replace yournetid with your University netid.
- Enter your University password in the Password box.
- Click OK.
- You should now see your drive mapped.
Apple Macintosh Computers
- Connect to VPN.
- Click on Finder in the dock (should be far left icon).
- Click on the Go menu (top of screen).
- Select Connect to Server.
- In the Server Address enter smb://myfiles.iastate.edu/Users/<netid>
- Note: replace deptshare with your departmental share name; this is usually your department or college’s shortname, such as engr or las. Department shares may end with a dollar sign ($).
- Click Connect.
- If you receive a login prompt, enter the following information:
- Username: email@example.com (replace yournetid with your University netid).
- Password: Enter your University password.
- You should now be taken to your MyFiles Storage.